[fpc-pascal]Double-precision recursion

Rich Pasco pasco at acm.org
Thu Mar 29 22:43:19 CEST 2001

Sebastian Günther wrote:

> Looks like a FPU stack overflow...?

You may be onto something here.

I didn't know there a separate stack in the FPU.  How can I learn more
about how Free Pascal utilizes it?

> If you reduce the line "p := get+cof(n);" just to "p := cof(n);", then
> the program works. (ehmm, it doesn't crash anymore...)

Yes, but in the "real" program from which this trivial example was
derived, this is not an option.

> But I'm somewhat surprised that BP sufferes from the same problem.

Apparently both BP and FP use the FPU stack (if there is one) the same
way.  In this case, I'm surprised that the C version is not also subject
to the same bug.

     - Rich