[fpc-pascal]executing different gtk applications from FPC

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Wed Jul 18 09:03:29 CEST 2001

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Andreas K. Foerster wrote:

> Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>
> > The exec function from the dos unit always waits till the started
> > application closes.
> > If you don't want to wait, use the linux unit:
>
> And how can I make that with Win32?
> Where can I get informations about the windows unit?
> Is the windows unit compatible with the linux unit?

No. The windows unit is the direct translation of the Win32 API header
files. It is totally incompatible with the Linux unit. The documentation
for this unit is not freely available, so we cannot distribute it.
On the web-site, there is a link to a copy of the win32 API help files
on Borland's site. I suggest you download that.

The standard Win32 CreateProcess() function, however, does NOT wait till
the application returns, so it can simply be used to create a process and continue.

Lastly: The FCL has a TProcess class, which encapsulates the linux and win32
process management, you can use that to manage processes. It allows you to
specify whether the code should wait or not for the application to terminate.

Michael.