[fpc-pascal]Strings vs. Ansistrings

James_Wilson at i2.com James_Wilson at i2.com
Tue Sep 19 17:09:09 CEST 2000

> Also the link of a ShortString is 255 (that's the same as string in $H-
> mode). De sizeof an ansistring is unlimited (Sizeof(Memory) - Sizeof(Os))

I don't suspect that it's a size issue; I'm loading a file that's 1.3 meg,
but I have 320 meg of RAM in this computer. Also, you're previous reply
eluded to a problem writing a file using ^string if they're ansistrings,
but that's not the problem either in this case (but how does one write
^ansistrings to a file anyway?). Where I seem to be running into
difficulties is when trying to writeln to the screen. Then, I get nothing
but garbage. If I compile with {$H-} everything works fine, but {$H+}
causes garbage to be written to the screen for both go32 and win32 targets.
Weird...

Another thing I found; clreol doesn't seem to work too well with win32
(console mode) targets. Again, I can compile the identical source code and
clreol works fine on go32 executables, but often leaves behind characters
when with win32 executables. FWIW, I use the window () function to set
window sizes, and it's within these windows that clreol seems to have the
most problems.

Regards,
Jim Wilson