[fpc-other] How to modify install scripts when svn disappeared?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Wed Aug 11 14:36:23 CEST 2021

I have for many years now been using an install script to get the sources of fpc
and lazarus via svn based on the specific tags. Then the script installs the
needed dependencies and makes the complete installation on Raspberry Pi boxes.

Now I have two problems:
1) The svn server seems to be down so the source retrieval does not work
2) I cannot find any tutorial on how to proceed with modifications of scripts to
move from svn to gitlab.

Please advice how to:
1) Find which is the latest release tag of fpc and lazarus
2) Retrieve the full sources for that tag on the command line

As soon as I have the sources I believe the rest of my script will work just
fine...

The retrieval lines in my script read as follows:

echo "Downloading version $FPCVER of FPC"
cd "$FPCDIR"
svn co https://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/tags/$FPCTAG/ $FPCVER

echo "Downloading version $LAZVER of Lazarus"
cd "$LAZDIR"
svn co https://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/tags/$LAZTAG/ $LAZVER

What could I replace these svn calls with?

I have not used git for anything else than to download a specific code base for
a utility from github.
All of my developing is versioned via subversion...

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden