[fpc-other] VSCode

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 26 15:37:38 CEST 2020

Am 26.04.2020 um 14:28 schrieb Martin Frb:
> On 26/04/2020 14:21, Sven Barth via fpc-other wrote:
>> Am 26.04.2020 um 14:03 schrieb Martin:
>>> Just curiosity:
>>>
>>> I recently see a lot of great efforts to make things more widely
>>> available (language server / debug adapter).
>>>
>>> Often with reference to use in VSCode.
>>>
>>> I wonder what the advantage or usecases are for using VSCode as an IDE?
>>
>> - free and open source
>> - cross platform
>> - easy to setup
>> - support for a wide range of languages (syntax highlighting, the
>> language servers) and environments (e.g. there's Arduino support
>> which is leagues better than that of the Arduino IDE)
>> - if the language server is implemented well then good code
>> completion as well
>
> So matter of taste?
> Same as some people prefer eclipse?

It's more lightweight than eclipse. And being written in JavaScript
instead of Java it might feel easier accessible for people wanting to
write extensions...

> I was wondering how it compares (if used with FPC) to Lazarus. (Not
> saying that Lazarus has a monopoly, just interested in knowing the diffs)
> I.e., maybe it offers some features that Lazarus does not have?

By itself it's very weak for Pascal code. However there is the
OmniPascal extension that provides support for compiling Delphi and
Lazarus projects and also provides a language server (it's more geared
towards Delphi language than FPC's syntax however). It does however not
provide a visual form designer.

TMS also provides their TMS Web Core for VSCode including a form
designer (they probably created a form designer using their Web VCL).

Regards,
Sven