[fpc-devel] What about splitting compiler and packages releases?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sat May 25 11:55:25 CEST 2024

On Sat, 25 May 2024, Peter via fpc-devel wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering: would it make sense to split the release schedule of
> the compiler and the included packages?
>
> Compiler releases are not frequent (latest is May 2021). In the
> meantime, useful functionality, bug fixes and improvements have been
> added to the packages. To use these added and updated packages, AFAIK,
> there are two possibilities:
>
> 1. Use the trunk compiler (eg using fpcupdeluxe). Not recommended for
> production environments.
> 2. Use a stable compiler, manually download updated packages to a
> different location and make sure the compiler uses the updated
> packages instead of the ones included with the compiler distribution
> (bit of a hassle).
>
> I think it would be very useful to have more frequent (stable) package
> releases, while the compiler itself can stick to the current frequency
> of (thoroughly tested) releases.

We are in agreement.

But it is not so easy as it may seem:
Some parts (e.g. rtti, namespaces etc.) require compiler support, a careful
selection of what can be updated is needed.

> If I miss a smart way to use updated packages with a stable compiler,
> please let me know. Thanks!

There is none better than what you described above.

We're currently attempting to get 3.2.4 out of the door, after that I plan a
new debate in the FPC group about a more regular release schedule.

Several companies that use FPC have asked for a more regular release
schedule, and I even received offers of funding to ensure a more regular
release schedule. So you're not alone with your request.

Michael.