[fpc-devel] Modifiers...

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Jan 28 12:14:12 CET 2024

On Wed, 24 Jan 2024, Martin Frb via fpc-devel wrote:

> https://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/ref/refsu3.html
>
> Is this list complete/correct?
>
> 1)
> It lists bitpacked, but
>     program foo; var  bitpacked: integer;  begin end;
> gives an error.
>
> I thought modifiers can be used as var names?

Normally, yes.

> 2)
> Is there, or has there once been?
> (found in the synedit highlighter)
>   final

final comes after virtual/dynamic. Its supposed to stop you from overriding
a method. Which is a bit strange because then you should not declare it
virtual to begin with.

AFAIK not supported in FPC.

>   automated

It is a visibility section. Delphi has/had it for win32, activeX server stuff.
It's the same as public in all other aspects.

AFAIK not supported in FPC.

>   optional

I have no idea what this is.

> 3)
> Not on the list, but suspected the should?
> Some are on https://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/ref/refse100.html
>   sealed
>   inline
>   mwpascal
>   noinline
>   weakexternal
>   compilerproc
>   vectorcall

I have added these to the list, thank you.

Michael.