[fpc-devel] Lazarus/fpc on Apple store. Crazy Idea or smart move?

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Fri Feb 23 12:40:18 CET 2024

Hi fpc developers.

On my Mac I tested the UTM virtualization, and I stumbled in that
sentence from UTM website:

> UTM is and always will be completely free and open source. The Mac App
> Store version is identical to the free version and there are no
> features left out of the free version. The only advantage of the Mac
> App Store version is that you can get automatic updates. Purchasing
> the App Store version directly funds the development of UTM and shows
> your support .
Couldn't we do the same?

The advantages:

 1. coming from a known developer the free download of dmg would not be
    subject to the annoying procedure of forcing installation
 2. purchasers would provide a source of financing for the Lazarus/fpc
    project

Disadvantages:

 1. an affordable annual fee, which should however be more than
    compensated by the income
 2. none other I can see

Taking into account that:

  *   UTM is provided by a Chinese company, which lives on that product,
    and a companion Iso image downloader.
  * That Chinese business traditions date from before the foundation of
    Rome and they hardly invest in something not ensuring a good return

I believe that the matter does deserve further investigation.

What do you think?

Giuliano

--
Do not do to others as you would have them do to you.They might have different tastes.