[fpc-devel] Help/Guidance please: Dwarf support for properties

Martin Frb lazarus at mfriebe.de
Sat Apr 27 17:18:35 CEST 2024

On 27/04/2024 17:05, Martin Frb via fpc-devel wrote:
> On 27/04/2024 15:24, Jonas Maebe via fpc-devel wrote:
>> On 27/04/2024 13:45, Martin Frb via fpc-devel wrote:
>>> Ok, I would like to start another attempt to support properties when
>>> using fpdebug as debugger.
>>
>> I would recommend asking guidance on the DWARF list (dwarf-discuss).
>> Maybe there are already standard-supported constructs to do this.
>>

> It is not mentioned in the latest draft for dwarf 6.
> https://snapshots.sourceware.org/dwarfstd/dwarf-spec/latest/

Joost actually checked
https://lists.dwarfstd.org/pipermail/dwarf-discuss/2021-May/thread.html
https://lists.dwarfstd.org/pipermail/dwarf-discuss/2021-June/thread.html

And Joost based his implementation on this.

One of the posts also brings up the idea of avoiding labels (in asm),
and keep track of locations by counting the bytes in the generated dwarf
as part of the compilers work (IMHO duplicate what the asm already can do?)