[fpc-devel] Request to add SHA-2 and Keccak (SHA-3) to hash package

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Fri Sep 29 01:24:00 CEST 2023

Hi everyone,

Given the current work on optimising and fixing the hash package, I
would like to propose adding two additional families of hash functions
to the package:

  * SHA-2: namely SHA-224 and SHA-256 (they essentially share the
    algorithm with some changes to the initial constants and final
    output), and SHA-384 and SHA-512 (also share an algorithm). Possibly
    also SHA-512/224 and SHA-512/256.
  * SHA-3, aka. Keccak.  Initially just SHA3-224, SHA3-256, SHA3-384 and
    SHA3-512.  There's quite a lot available here, like the SHAKE
    algorithms, and will probably take more time to implement.

Would this be an acceptable addition?  If someone wants to take on the
challenge, go for it.  I have a new work contract starting very soon so
if I were to do it, it would take some time... that and I've got a
backlog of merge requests for Free Pascal that I'm still waiting for
approval or rejection on.

Kit