[fpc-devel] fnmatch (linux), where is the external

robert rozee rozee at mail.com
Wed Oct 18 02:03:02 CEST 2023

Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2023 at 9:58 AM
From: "Mattias Gaertner via fpc-devel" <fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org>

>> interesting. the above script has been widely circulating on the lazarus/FPC forums, and to date none of
>> the 'experts' there, including Marco, have suggest it is deficient. this silence disappoints me.
> The script is ok to update fpc. And if you use lazarus from git then
> lazarus and lazbuild automatically rebuild the lazarus packages.
> The script is not fine in combination with the lazarus deb.
>> [...] simply downloading the pre-compiled git version of anything is pointless
> Where is this coming from?
> I'm not aware of a pre-compiled git version of lazarus.
> Clone the lazarus git and build it with "make distclean bigide".

my mistake, i have never used the git repository, and just work from the three .deb packages from sourceforge. i assumed you meant that nightly builds existed and were available, and i should use these.

i prefer to work with a non-moving target, that is the sourceforge releases. this way, others can duplicate exactly my environment, and see what i see. i also believe that the vast majority of users get their FPC and Lazarus from sourceforge, hence it is important that any patches can be applied to such installs.

given that i have installed from the three .deb packages, how do i perform a rebuild of the Lazarus packages? do i add the line "make distclean bigide" to the end of Fred vS's script?

cheers,
rob   :-)