[fpc-devel] fnmatch (linux), where is the external code/symbol located?

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Tue Oct 17 13:57:27 CEST 2023

On 2023-10-17 13:46, robert rozee via fpc-devel wrote:
> Op 17-10-2023 om 13:17 schreef robert rozee via fpc-devel:
>> Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2023 09:32:16 +0200
>> From: Marco van de Voort <fpc at pascalprogramming.org>
>
>> (1) installing a new compiler, possibly erasing a release (-Ur)
>> compiler
>> with one that isn't.
>
>> (2) modifying LCL source.
>
>>> reversing the edit, rebuilding the compiler, RTL, etc, and now when
>>> run lazbuild reports:
>
>> This seems to indicate the cause of the state problem is the source
>> modification rather than the compiler recompile. Which is logical
>> since
>> it invalidates the RTL.
>
> why on earth is it logical??? one of the main functions of the FPC
> compiler (tm, the department of duplicate words department) should
> surely be the ability to rebuilt itself. if it can NOT rebuild itself
> successfully then there is something _really_ wrong down in the
> gubbins. i can flip back and forth between working and not working, as
> many times as i wish, without any deviation from the outcome.
> furthermore, it is my understanding that the compiler is DESIGNED to
> be rebuilt by the end user.

Do you realize that neither the LCL nor the Lazarus are "the compiler"?
It might be better to discuss what is designed for Lazarus / LCL in some
Lazarus list.

> what i am demonstrating is that if an ERROR in the source code is
> REMOVED, then the compiler breaks. surely this is very, very wrong?

The compiler doesn't break, it reports an error situation. The compiler
also provides means for analyzing this situation if needed (-vt and -s
compiler optionsin this case). Alternatively, you can choose the end
user approach, but then you should probably follow the documentation
coming from Lazarus regarding how things should be done.

Tomas