[fpc-devel] Unicode RTL for FPC

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 7 12:52:32 CET 2023

Michael Van Canneyt via fpc-devel <fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org> schrieb
am Sa., 7. Jan. 2023, 12:46:

> On Sat, 7 Jan 2023, Mattias Gaertner via fpc-devel wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 6 Jan 2023 18:05:43 +0100 (CET)
> > Michael Van Canneyt via fpc-devel <fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> [...]
> >> For those that wish to help in testing:
> >>
> >> - Update your git clone
> >
> > I used a fresh clone.
> >
> >> - switch to branch unicodertl.
> >
> > I used git checkout unicodertl
> >
> >> - in the toplevel FPC directory, do a
> >>
> >> make all
> >
> > I get:
> >
> > Compiling .../packages/fcl-process/src/process.pp
> > Compiling .../packages/fcl-process/src/pipes.pp
> > process.inc(94,23) Error: Incompatible type for arg no. 1: Got "PChar",
> > expected "PWideChar"
>
> Lesson:
> Always run a toplevel "make all" after even the smallest (no matter how
> insignificant) change in RTL.

That's my usual modus operandi when working on the RTL or some compiler
feature: first make sure that make inside the rtl directory works and then
ensure that it also works in the top level.
There have often enough been subtle errors further down the line (good
candidate, especially when working with generics, is the rtl-generics
package 🙄).

Regards,
Sven