[fpc-devel] Make file questions (Makefile.fpc, fpmake.pp, etc)

Wayne Sherman wsherman at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 07:36:03 CET 2023

Each package directory (./fpc-source/packages/some-package/) typically
has these files:
   fpmake.pp  (where does this come from?)
   Makefile  (this is generated by FPCMake?)
   Makefile.fpc  (config file for FPCMake to create Makefile?)

Some package directories also have:
   Makefile.fpc.fpcmake  (?)

Some questions please:
1) How do I generate the fpmake.pp file?  Or is it created by manual coding?
2) Does "Makefile" automatically get generated during a build or do I
have to manually run FPCMake?
3) What is "Makefile.fpc.fpcmake" used for and how is it created?
4) Can "fpmake" completely build fpc and all the packages without using "make"?

Thanks in advance,
Wayne Sherman
(developing on Xubuntu 20.04 64-bit)