[fpc-devel] TProcess and redirection of StdIn/Out (e.g. from/to files)

Marco van de Voort fpc at pascalprogramming.org
Thu Dec 14 18:13:31 CET 2023

Op 14-12-2023 om 17:30 schreef Martin Frb via fpc-devel:
> If I am right the TProcess currently does not allow redirection of
> StdOut/In to/from a file (or other handle provided).

It does, if you need a runcommandloop like routine that writes to file.
Partially this can be even simplified by inheriting TProcess and
overriding readinputstream

> If it does, and I have been missing the "how to", then please
> enlighten me and disregard the remainder of the mail.

The piping to memo (afaik since 3.2.0 or 3.0.4) should be analogues, you
just need functions to write to disk, see e.g.

https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,42385.msg443351.html#msg443351

> Is this something that should be added? (I.e. a feature request to be
> added)
> If yes, should there just be 3 properties for the handles? A callback
> to create/provide them? A virtual method?
> Should there be a flag?

Maybe you can create a predefined derivative that does this with less
additional code, but this should already be possible.