[fpc-devel] fpc compiler wrong encoding in console output on Windows

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Wed Aug 30 16:23:17 CEST 2023

On 2023-08-30 15:26, Ondrej Pokorny via fpc-devel wrote:
> On 30.08.2023 13:49, Mattias Gaertner via fpc-devel wrote:
>> On 30.08.23 12:04, Tomas Hajny via fpc-devel wrote:
>>> On 2023-08-28 15:53, Ondrej Pokorny via fpc-devel wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> Your output is different from mine (using a freshly compiled trunk
>>> compiler):
>>> Free Pascal Compiler version 3.3.1 [2023/08/29] for i386
>>> Copyright (c) 1993-2023 by Florian Klaempfl and others
>>> Target OS: Win32 for i386
>>> Compiling t2.pas
>>> t2.pas(4,2) Note: User defined: ä
>>
>> Then you don't have default windows setup. Maybe you installed the cp
>> 65001?
>
> Yes, Tomas, in other words: maybe you enabled "Beta support for UTF-8"
> in language options on your Windows?

If you mean
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/56419639/what-does-beta-use-unicode-utf-8-for-worldwide-language-support-actually-do,
then no, I don't have this option checked. However, even if I had it
checked (I don't), it couldn't make a difference, because I didn't rely
on the output displayed on console, but I actually checked the codepage
of the compiler output by redirecting it to a file and checking the
content of that file as well.

  .
  .
> (437 is DOS-US, 850 is DOS-Latin-1)
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_437
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page_850

Thanks, but I'm quite well aware of the codepage stuff... ;-) (including
ISO, Mac codepages, DBCS codepages, EBCDIC codepages, non-standard /
custom codepages created in some Central and East European countries for
better support of their local languages, etc.)

Tomas