[fpc-devel] Building trunk of today fails on Windows: Error: Invalid DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\common.dll, invalid header size

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 20:17:50 CEST 2023

On Mon, 23 Aug 2021 23:01:39 +0200, Bart via fpc-devel
<fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

>On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 8:04 PM Bart <bartjunk64 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> And, of course, the guide on how to remove this utility
>> (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000032459/processors/processor-utilities-and-programs.html)
>> do not apply.
>> No XtuService in "Apps and Features", no XtuService.exe. in any of the
>> suggested locations.
>
>Finally good news.
>
>In taskmanager I had to stop one process,then go to services, find
>xtu3service.exe, right-click, then "open services", find that service
>again (now called XTUOCDriverService) in the newly opened window,
>right-click, select properties, then set Startup type (? "Opstart
>type") to Disabled.
>
>After a reboot I was able to rename that common.dll to _common.dll,
>rebooted again.
>All this as administrator of course.
>
>Finally after all that I was able to build fpc for 32-bit.
>
>And now just hoping that with the nex Windows update it won't get
>re-installed again.

Thanks for this description which I found now 19 months later!

I had trouble installing the Win32 version of Lazarus/Fpc using fpcupdeluxe,
because I wanted a cross-compile tool for RaspberryPi on my Windows10 x64 box.
But the install failed no matter what I did with an error message that was hard
to decode for me.

Now I have done the following as described above:

-Started Servicemanager on my Win10 workstation.

- Found the Intel service "XTUOCDriverService" and stopped it

- Then I also set the type to disabled.

- But I did not reboot, instead I renamed the common.dll in C:\Windows\SysWOW64
to _common.dll, which was allowed now.

- Then I just started the fpcupdeluxe 32 bit exe and commanded it to install
3.2.2/Lazarus 2.2.6. And this time it succeeded!

- So when it was done I could tell fpcupdeluxe to install the cross-compiler for
arm-linux, which it also successfully completed.

The base install took 19m30s and the cross another 5 minutes when it fetched the
various source files from the Internet.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden