[fpc-devel] What's the difference between -Cp and -Op?

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Wed Sep 7 16:34:09 CEST 2022

Hi everyone,

So this one has eluded me a little bit... what's the exact difference
between the -Cp and -Op options?  I figure it's for specific features on
non-Intel processors, but when building code for AVX2, for example, I
tend to specify "-CpCOREAVX2 -OpCOREAVX2 -CfAVX2".  If the code
generator creates AVX2 though, normally I'd want the peephole optimizer
to make improvements where it can, but forgetting -OpCOREAVX2 may cause
them to be ignored.

Gareth aka. Kit