[fpc-devel] Policy regarding SHL/SHR under x86

Kai Burghardt wiz at KaiBurghardt.de
Mon Oct 24 12:58:25 CEST 2022

Hi there:

On 2022‑10‑24 11:51:32 +0100, J. Gareth Moreton via fpc-devel wrote:
> [...] I've come across one situation that I need clarity on... how
> are SHL and SHR instructions handled if the shift value exceeds the word
> size?

About a half year ago I raised a documentation issue regarding that:
https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/fpc/documentation/-/issues/39304

Bottom line: The behavior is _undefined_. Explanation by Jonas Maebe:

--
Sincerely yours,
Kai Burghardt