[fpc-devel] I've asked this before, but perhaps I wasn't specific enough that time: what do I *personally*, specifically need to do to ensure that a native Windows 64-bit build winds up on the FPC website for the next release?

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Wed Jan 12 13:55:45 CET 2022

On 2022-01-12 13:38, Martin Frb via fpc-devel wrote:
> On 12/01/2022 11:51, Marco van de Voort via fpc-devel wrote:
>>
>> On 12-1-2022 11:38, Ben Grasset via fpc-devel wrote:
>>> If it's actually now somehow the case that an offer to provide Win64
>>> builds would be refused though, I guess maybe I'll look into hosting
>>> them myself somewhere else? Although again I don't get why it would
>>> be fine for Linux to have a zillion archives for different
>>> configurations here:
>>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/freepascal/files/Linux/3.2.2/
>>
>> As said, Windows 64-bit is a special case because it doesn't
>> support/recommend extended. This makes cross compiling to targets that
>> do difficult till we have softfloat support.
>
> Ok, let me throw in my 2 cents here....
  .
  .
> - The problem is *NOT* a native 64 bit    "ppcx64.exe"  ?
>    => 64 bit compiled targets don't require "extended" from the ppc,
> as they themself wont have support for it?

Wrong - applies only to the Win64 target, whereas e.g. 64-bit Linux
(supported by the same compiler targetting 64-bit code) supports
extended. This means that compiling source code with this compiler may
result in a different binary as soon as there's e.g. an extended
contstant included in the source code, or any compile-time calculations
in this precision need to be performed.

> So up to this point, afaik there would be no problem, having those
> executables as 64-bit exe?
  .
  .

There would, see above.