[fpc-devel] Is the ARM/AArch64 optimisation okay now?

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Wed Jan 5 19:52:16 CET 2022

Hey everyone,

I uploaded a merge request for ARMv7A and AArch64 a while back. I'm just
wondering if it's okay now.

https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/fpc/source/-/merge_requests/104

To explain, because the optimisation requires a specific version of ARM
to work (it always works under AArch64), I erroneously checked the
processor type directly instead of creating a new feature flag.  This
has since been resolved.

I intend to use the new feature flag for future optimisations,
specifically in constant generation (it indicates the presence of "movw"
and "movt" instructions that permit the direct creation of all 32-bit
constants and not just those that can be encoded in ARM's barrel shifter
- constants that can't be encoded as such have to be loaded in from a
data segment).  It can also probably find use in some specific
optimisations where the upper 16 bits are written to (movt) while the
lower 16 bits are preserved.

Gareth aka. Kit