[fpc-devel] Questions about cross-compiling (z80)

Nikolay Nikolov nickysn at gmail.com
Sun Feb 13 02:01:09 CET 2022

On 2/11/22 19:14, Sven Barth via fpc-devel wrote:
> Tomas Hajny via fpc-devel <fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org> schrieb am
> Fr., 11. Feb. 2022, 17:24:
>
>     On 2022-02-11 14:14, Sven Barth via fpc-devel wrote:
>     > BogDan via fpc-devel <fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org> schrieb am
>     Fr.,
>     > 11. Feb. 2022, 11:09:
>
>       .
>       .
>     >> It seems is an IHX format not tzx
>     >> Also the result for a simple hello world is way too big (over
>     20k) !
>     >> I assume that I'm passing wrong params to ppcrossz80. What params
>     >> should I use? Where I can find more info on this matter?
>     >
>     > You need to make sure that the ihxutil built in
>     > utils/ihxutil/<hostcpu>-<hostos>/ is available in PATH, so that the
>     > compiler will do the conversion.
>
>     @Sven: Sorry for a silly question, but shouldn't the compiler emit
>     some
>     error message if the tool isn't available?
>

> It wasn't me who implemented it. But at least a warning or note might
> be good, cause the output *is* usable after all.

Added an error in:

https://gitlab.com/freepascal.org/fpc/source/-/commit/3c91a7c01ea16f5fc9239b21636d4127faacaf31

The error looks like this:

Free Pascal Compiler version 3.3.1 [2022/02/13] for z80
Copyright (c) 1993-2022 by Florian Klaempfl and others
Target OS: ZX Spectrum
Compiling hello.pas
Linking hello.tzx
hello.pas(4,1) Error: Util ihxutil not found, switching to external linking
hello.pas(4,1) Fatal: There were 1 errors compiling module, stopping
Fatal: Compilation aborted

Additionally, there's an extra message that the tool is being used, when
you compile with -vt and the tool is found.

Nikolay