[fpc-devel] Questions regarding m68k-atari target

Karoly Balogh charlie at scenergy.dfmk.hu
Mon Feb 7 14:34:12 CET 2022

Hi,

On Mon, 7 Feb 2022, Thorsten Otto via fpc-devel wrote:

> > It's just that you need to provide it with the correctly compiled units
>
> Yes, i see. But that requires some manual fiddling with the library
> directories, and you need both 68000 and 68020 versions somehow.
>
> How do the Amiga folks solve that? Or don't they care about 68000 anymore?

We do care, although FPC existed and focused on 68020+ first, and the vast
majority of application development on Amiga happens for 68020+. We didn't
really integrate the "legacy" support in the current 3.2.2 release cycle,
but we have to in the next one.

An additional problem on Atari is that at least for TOS it uses 8.3
filenames, so it's difficult to do subarch directories, which is not a
problem on Amiga. Not under mind, but going with this would probably mean
giving up TOS support.

There's also the FPU version, which is yet another additional set of
libraries and units, and if we include all of this, the compiler archive
quickly grows too large to even process on real hardware in a practical
way. For my own cross-suite I just keep all builds separate anyway, and
don't use any global settings.

Charlie