[fpc-devel] Problems with MM types (__m128 etc).

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Sat Apr 9 19:30:25 CEST 2022

So I've done some testing... make_not_regable is NOT being called at
all.  When the array is already on the stack, this is no problem, but if
it's in an MM register, then problems start occurring.  If I force the
call to make_not_regable, then the bad code disappears.  I'm still
learning how it works in this part of the code, especially where the
node location changes.

program m128test;

function Test3(V1, V2: __m128d): __m128d; vectorcall;
begin
   Test3[1] := V1[1] + V2[1];
end;

begin
end.

Output:

     # Register rsp,rbp allocated
     pushq    %rbp
.seh_pushreg %rbp
     movq    %rsp,%rbp
     leaq    -64(%rsp),%rsp
.seh_stackalloc 64
# Temp -64,16 allocated
.seh_endprologue
# Temp -16,16 allocated
# Temp -32,16 allocated
# Temp -48,16 allocated
     # Register xmm0,xmm1 allocated
     movdqa    %xmm0,-16(%rbp)
     # Register xmm0 released
     movdqa    %xmm1,-32(%rbp)
     # Register xmm1 released
     # Register mreg32 allocated
     movsd    -8(%rbp),%mreg32md
     addsd    -24(%rbp),%mreg32md
     # Register mreg32 released
     movsd    %mreg32md,-40(%rbp)
# Temp -16,16 released
# Temp -32,16 released
     # Register xmm0 allocated
     movdqa    -48(%rbp),%xmm0
# Temp -48,16 released
# Temp -64,16 released
     leaq    (%rbp),%rsp
     popq    %rbp
     # Register rbp,rsp released
     ret
.seh_endproc
     # Register xmm0 released

No uninitialised registers are being written (although -48(%rbp) is
uninitialised because I don't write to Test3[0]).  Of course I don't
want to force the call to make