[fpc-devel] Public access of FPC features and settings

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Mar 9 23:01:04 CET 2021

On Tue, 9 Mar 2021, Florian Klämpfl via fpc-devel wrote:

>> Since we write the resource strings in JSON, and XML is meanwhile all but
>> replaced by JSON, I think it would be much better to write JSON ?
>>

> The compiler writes the node tree already as XML, so I thought XML might
> be the better choice?

The node tree is not for public use.
The resource string files are, and this is too...

> Despite the fact that I really dislike json for
> two reasons: it reminds me of JS and C; ad hoc writing is annoying due
> to the comma being a separator and no trailing commas after the last
> value being allowed.

Well, then it means pas2js will unfortunately not follow FPC in this;
if anything it will write JSON, because it already writes
everything else in JSON.
I would have preferred to use the same format, and we're not adding XML to
it.

When you finish it in FPC, I can always add -ij for json.

Michael.