[fpc-devel] Error: Global Generic template references static symtable

Bart bartjunk64 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 16:21:31 CET 2021

On Sat, Jan 9, 2021 at 12:00 PM Sven Barth via fpc-devel
<fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

> Right click the error message in Lazarus, then click "Help". For me a dialog with the following text appeared:
Hah!
Learned something new today!

> The *why* is not important for users. Those that are interested can ask, just like you did.

Then let me rephrase it.
Error messages of the compiler normally point you in the right direction like:
  qtest.lpr(367,3) Fatal: Syntax error, ";" expected but "identifier
TESTINCCAP" found
It's sort of obvious there is a missing semicolon.

OTOH: "Global Generic template references static symtable" only means
something to me (as an fpc user) if I know what a static symtable is
(I assume this is an internal datastructure in the compiler).
Since I have no clue, I have absolutely no idea how to fix that error.
In my case I commented out all lines in the given procedure and
uncommented them one by one to finally get at the offending line in
question.
I then made an educated guess that (sine accessing functions like
Format() is OK), it must have something to do with the declaration of
the "Min()" function.

It would have helped if the error message was a little less cryptic,
and/or if it pointed to the line that caused the error in the first
place.

Of course I have no idea wether or not this error message only applies
to the situation I encountered...

Bart

--
Bart