[fpc-devel] AVR systeminfo defaults to dwarf 3

Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis d.ioannidis at nephelae.eu
Wed Feb 10 14:18:48 CET 2021

Hi,

Στις 10/2/2021 2:25 μ.μ., ο/η Christo Crause έγραψε:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 12:47 PM Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis via
> fpc-devel <fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org
> <mailto:fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>        I read at compiler/systems/i_embed.pas the AVR systeminfo, is the
>     only one that, has as default "dbg : dbg_dwarf3". The other embed
>     systems that uses dwarf ( ARM, MIPSEL, i8086, m68k, RISCV32/64,
>     XTENSA,
>     Z80 ), all have as default "dbg : dbg_dwarf2".
>
>        The AVR has problems with dbg_dwarf2 ? If not, could you please
>     change the AVR systeminfo to dwarf2 also for consistency ?
>

> That was a fix for compiling controller units with lots of symbols,
> refer to this discussion thread:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/fpc-devel@lists.freepascal.org/msg35416.html
> <https://www.mail-archive.com/fpc-devel@lists.freepascal.org/msg35416.html>
> Dwarf2 is fine in general, unless the address (I think address in
> dwarf debug section, the details are a bit hazy in my memory) of
> symbols exceed 65535. Dwarf3 offers a larger data type for this scenario.

  I'm using ppcrossavr with systeminfo default "dbg : dbg_dwarf2" with
no problems. If I remember correctly, IMHO, fixing the issue 33914 (
https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=33914 ) had the collateral
effect to fixing also the above.

  For test, I just debugged a physical atmega32u2 mcu with Lazarus with
no problems at all. Also for test, I builded an avr35 subarch ppcrossavr
and also debugged a physical atmega32u2 mcu with no problems.

ppcrossavr ( from trunk ) builded on Windows 10 x64  ( with avr binutils
2.34  from https://blog.zakkemble.net/avr-gcc-builds/ ) :

make.exe clean crossall crossinstall CPU_TARGET=avr OS_TARGET=embedded
SUBARCH=avr35 INSTALL_PREFIX=G:\Programming\dimitris\tools\
fpc-trunk CROSSOPT="-g -godwarfsets -gw2 -O1 -dDEBUG"
CROSSBINDIR=G:\Programming\dimitris\tools\fpc-trunk\bin\x86_64-win64
BINUTILSPREFIX=avr-embedded-

regards,

--

Dimitrios Chr. Ioannidis