[fpc-devel] Apple M1 processor

Jonas Maebe jonas at freepascal.org
Sun Feb 7 15:45:43 CET 2021

On 02/02/2021 16:48, C Western via fpc-devel wrote:

> My application works fine single threaded, but crashes occasionally when
> multi threaded, with what I think is some sort of memory corruption, but
> I haven't been able to pin this down yet, and fixing the above two
> points would help.

It's probably a data race. AArch64's memory model is much more relaxed
than that of x86-64, so data races are much more likely to lead to
errors. Additionally, while on x86 interlocked* routines implicitly act
as memory barriers between them (due to an architectural idiosyncrasy),
they don't on any other architecture.

Jonas