[fpc-devel] Building a debug version of FPC-main on Windows

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Sun Aug 29 19:10:00 CEST 2021

On 2021-08-29 16:39, Marco van de Voort via fpc-devel wrote:
> Op 8/28/2021 om 10:52 PM schreef Werner Pamler via fpc-devel:
>> Am 25.08.2021 um 20:53 schrieb Marco van de Voort via fpc-devel:
>>> Sorry. I'm on holiday, and I only check in occasionally at night. Try
>>> changing PP= to FPC=
>> Thank you, Marco. Now I did already the second successful build of a
>> older clone after an update. This really was the solution. But what is
>> the difference between PP= and FPC= ?
>
> As michael says, the make file use both FPC and PP which point
> internally to the corresponding binaries (fpc(.exe) and
> ppc<arch>(.exe)).
>
> What I think is that the FPC binary found in the path  was queried
> (and found a ppc<x> binary in the same dir) and overrode your PP=
> setting.

BTW, that raises a question whether we shouldn't consider the PP
environment variable within the fpc binary... Obviously, that wouldn't
help immediately to people having an older version of the fpc helper not
supporting this functionality on PATH, but that would change over time.
Just an idea.

Tomas