[fpc-devel] Building trunk of today fails on Windows: Error: Invalid DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\common.dll, invalid header size

Bart bartjunk64 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 11:52:11 CEST 2021

On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 10:49 AM Florian Klämpfl via fpc-devel
<fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:

> Are you sure this common.dll is 32 Bit? C:\Windows\SysWOW64 may contain only 32 Bit DLLs.

I have no idea how to test this.

Mind you: a simple test program with {$linklib common}  fails for me
for either 32 or 64, wether or not I supply the path to syswow64 in
the -Fl parameter.

What is different about the build system for fpc, than just compiling
a simple test program?
Why doesn't linking fail (for all (cross)targets: win32, win64,
wince), when none of the other statically linked libs in that unit is
present on my system?

Does anybody have a common.dll in \windows\system32 at all?
None of my other 2 Win10 machines (hardware, not VM) does have any
common.dll anywhere on its system.

A google search learns that common.dll is mostly used by games?
Is the common lib that is needed a specific oracle lib?

This is so frustrating.

--
Bart