[fpc-devel] Using -a or -s option forces change to external assembler

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Sun Aug 22 22:22:08 CEST 2021

On 2021-08-22 20:43, Jonas Maebe via fpc-devel wrote:
> On 22/08/2021 16:48, Christo Crause via fpc-devel wrote:
>> Would it make sense to implement an alternative interpretation, where
>> the internal assembler is used if specified/default with just an
>> output
>> writer for the -a case?
>
> The compiler only supports activating a single assembler writer at a
> time. I'm not sure it worth reworking that logic just to support
> writing
> a text assembler file and then assembling using the internal assembler.

Apart from complicating things, using a different writers for the text
output and for assembled binary might result in differences (assembled
output from the text assembler source might not be absolutely equal to
the result of the internal assembler) which might lead to serious
confusions. Obviously, we may extend the description of this option in
the documentation (and also of -s) in order to avoid surprises - feel
free to create a bug report for the docs.

Tomas