[fpc-devel] Using -a or -s option forces change to external assembler

Christo Crause christo.crause at gmail.com
Sun Aug 22 16:48:01 CEST 2021

On Linux 64 bit the compiler defaults to using the internal assembler.
When adding the -a command line option an external assembler is called.
This is unexpected based on the description of the -a option.  Specifying
-Aelf (to force using the internal assembler) is also ignored when used
with -a, without a message.  Also when using the -s option the internal
assembler is disabled, again somewhat unexpectedly in my opinion.

Is this behaviour documented somewhere else?  Since it is unexpected (at
least from my understanding of the documentation), can this behaviour be
added to the command line help output?

Would it make sense to implement an alternative interpretation, where the
internal assembler is used if specified/default with just an output writer
for the -a case?  In the case of -s there would be no assembler output, so
the user can then only check and tweak the linking step.

Best regards,
Christo