[fpc-devel] AsString and AsWideString both return 255 Bytes

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun May 10 12:07:00 CEST 2020

On Fri, 8 May 2020, Bob via fpc-devel wrote:

> Hi, using SQLite3, the latest version of Lazarus 2.0.8 and I assume FPC.
>
> This
> sqlMain.FieldByName('name').AsString;
> and this
> sqlMain.FieldByName('name').AsWideString;
>
> BOTH return 255 Bytes. I have a TEXT Field in the database 1776 Bytes long. The data looks OK in SQBrowser, but FPC/Lazarus brings in only 255 Bytes. Yes I have the fpcobj and $H+ set.
>
> I posted here but so far not getting anywhere.
> https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php/topic,49721.0.html
>
> The 1776 Bytes of data is being saved (.ExecSQL) to the file OK, but on read back I only get that 255.

Without sample database definition and test program, it's difficult to
comment.

The post that is referred to:
https://forum.lazarus.freepascal.org/index.php?topic=40253.0

Sums up the issue rather nicely. If the proposed solution there does not
work for you, we'll need a sample program to investigate the issue.

If you send the form lfm file and .pas file from your program + sql to
create the table directly to me, I can have a first look at that,
save you the trouble of making a demo.

Michael.