[fpc-devel] Recent changes to x86-64 peephole optimisation

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Mon Mar 9 22:04:49 CET 2020

Hi Florian,

Thanks for the response.  I'm mostly referring to r44241 that introdues
GetNextInstructionUsingRegTrackingUse and some restrictions on more
expensive optimisations.

One thing I wanted to bring up is "RemoveCurrentP(p)" - I've been
avoiding its use because it calls GetNextInstruction, which can be an
expensive call, and a lot of the time, I already know what the next
instruction is at that point (hence the "p := hp1;" assignments that
appear after it).  I figure it might class as a micro-optimisation
though and I can certainly see a call to "RemoveCurrentP(p)" being
safer, lest we accidentally leave p dangling.  Can I recommend we split
this into two separate commands named "RemovePAndSetNext" and
"RemovePAndNil" or some such?  The former would set p to
GetNextInstruction, while the latter would set p to nil.  With the aid
of inlining and deadstore removal, if "p := hp1;" follows a call to
RemovePAndNil(p), then the setting of p to nil will be removed by the
optimiser.

Gareth aka. Kit