[fpc-devel] Support for AVR subarch avrxmega3 (megaAVR 0, tinyAVR 0/1 series)

Christo Crause christo.crause at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 18:25:05 CET 2020

On Sun, Jan 19, 2020 at 7:00 PM Florian Klämpfl <florian at freepascal.org>
wrote:

> Am 19.01.20 um 08:20 schrieb Christo Crause via fpc-devel:
> > I would like to offer support for the relatively new AVR 8-bit
> > subarchitecture avrxmega3 which includes the following series: megaAVR
> > 0, tinyAVR 0 and 1.  This adds 35 new controllers to FPC's repertoire.
> > The current state can be viewed in a git branch
> > (https://github.com/ccrause/freepascal/tree/avrxmega3).  I can also
> > prepare a patch (perhaps two: compiler and rtl separately) if it is
> > accepted into trunk.
>
> If the patch quality is fine and the embedded units aren't too big (not
> MB scale) I see no reason not to do so.

I have split the patch into 3 parts in issue 0036616.

On a related note, I have some developer board aliases from Michael (R) and
Dimitrios.  The board names are defined as new controllers, but the
controllerunitstr has the name of the on-board controller. An example for
Arduino Uno (popular hobbyist board):
controllertypestr:'ARDUINOUNO'; controllerunitstr:'ATMEGA328P';

Would these kind of aliases be allowed in cpuinfo? I guess it would help
hobbyist beginners that only know the name of a board to have a slightly
easier start in FPC.