[fpc-devel] Allow object type property getter to expose a field as one of its base/parent types (patch included)

Kostas Michalopoulos badsectoracula at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 21:48:56 CEST 2020

Any further thoughts on this? I am already using it in a new project for
quite some time now and it has proven to be very useful in several cases by
exposing read only views of the same container that is used internally by
classes without additional boilerplate and with fast access and rtti
availability.

TBH I've found it so useful that even if it isn't included I'll maintain
the patch myself (it is tiny and the relevant code doesn't seem to be
modified frequently anyway :-P), but I think it is a very useful feature
for everyone because of what it enables you to do (see example in my last
message). Not having it feels like going back to pre-generics FP or
pre-dynamic arrays Delphi; sure, you do not need the functionality, but it
is better when the compiler enables you to avoid busywork and let you focus
on more important parts :-P

Kostas