[fpc-devel] State of SSE/AVX intrinsics

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at hajny.biz
Wed Apr 22 17:05:15 CEST 2020

On 2020-04-22 15:45, J. Gareth Moreton wrote:
  .
  .
> A global option, like a preprocessor directive or command line option,
> feels a bit dangerous and can easily introduce unexpected bugs if it's
> left out, so an explicit optional parameter (e.g.
> GetMem(AlignedVector, 4096, 64);) would feel like the way to go.
  .
  .

I didn't mean a preprocessor directive or a command line option (that
wouldn't work for previously compiled units anyway). I rather meant a
property inside unit system (probably within the memory manager
structure) that would allow setting the required behaviour. But I don't
know if it's a better option than a new optional parameter for the
respective routines, it was just an idea towards reducing the impact to
existing code and possibly also the amount of knowledge required for
using this feature.

Tomas