[fpc-devel] Question on updating FPC packages

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Oct 27 10:58:33 CET 2019

On Sun, 27 Oct 2019, Florian Klämpfl wrote:

> Am 27.10.19 um 10:27 schrieb Michael Van Canneyt:
>> If you genuinely believe that micro-optimization changes can make a
>> difference:
>>
>> Submit patches.
>
> As said: I am against applying them. Why? They clutter code and after
> all, they make assumptions about the current target which not might be
> always valid. And time testing them is much better spent in improving
> the compiler and then all code benefits. Another point: for example
> explicit inline increases normally code size (not always but often), so
> it is against the use of -Os. Applying inline manually on umpteen
> subroutines makes no sense. Better improve auto inlining.

I am aware of your point of view, and I agree. Because, as I wrote:

As a rule, the programmer should not have to care about such things.
The compiler must handle that. It knows better (well, it should :)).

Best of all would IMHO be to abolish or even totally ignore 'inline'.
It is a hint, after all. The compiler is not forced to inline, even
when the modifier is there.

I was more referring to the use of correct types, use const when possible etc.
Change classes to advanced records where appropriate, that kind of thing.

Michael.