[fpc-devel] Policy on reserving error numbers

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Sat Oct 19 03:52:15 CEST 2019

Hi everyone,

So I've run into a slight annoyance while developing support for pure
functions.  The compiler will need new parser messages because of
situations such as specifying the 'pure' directive when something in
said function makes it not eligible (a warning). However, whenever a new
error such as "parser_e_enumeration_out_of_range" is included, it
ultimately causes a conflict in my branch and I have to shift all my
numbers forward one.  Not a problem, just a little annoying, and I worry
that when the patch is finally ready, it might take a while to be
reviewed and, during that time, a new message is added and causes
another clash.  Is there a policy on reserving a set of numbers for my
work so I can rest assured they won't be overwritten? (I've made all of
the messages that I *think* I will need).

Gareth aka. Kit