[fpc-devel] vmul commutative optimization?

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Tue Nov 12 20:46:41 CET 2019

The Microsoft ABI is a bit restrictive when it comes to record types; as
described here
<https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/build/x64-calling-convention?view=vs-2019>,
"Structs and unions of size 8, 16, 32, or 64 bits, and __m64 types, are
passed as if they were integers of the same size." So unfortunately, a
single-precision complex number is treated as a 64-bit structure and
passed as an integer.  The System V ABI, on the other hand, would pass
the two entries through the lower 64 bits of XMM0.  Vectorcall,
theoretically, should put the two components into XMM0 and XMM1, because
the complex type would be considered a "homogeneous vector aggregate"
(with floats as 1-dimensional vectors).

I think the overhead that comes with issues such as this is the reason
why vectorcall was developed in the first place.

Gareth aka. Kit