[fpc-devel] inline... and philosophy

Nikolai Zhubr n-a-zhubr at yandex.ru
Fri Nov 8 23:22:59 CET 2019

08.11.2019 16:28, J. Gareth Moreton:
[...]
> No gain? Wow, is whole-program optimisation that underperforming? Given
> the bloated size of FPC's binaries compared to, say, what a mainstream
> C++ compiler than do, I would have thought that there could be a lot

Keep in mind that pretty much any tiny MSVC application would these days
push a (few-megabytes-sized) vcredist package in front of it. Similarly,
gcc would typically dynamically link against some-megabytes-sized libc
and other system libraries. On the other hand, FPC typically produces
self-contained binaries with all required RTL code built-in. Whether it
is good or not depends on your usage context, but application binary
size comparison should at least take this into account to be of some use.

Nikolai