[fpc-devel] [Core] Minor request with case else branches

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Mon May 27 00:41:11 CEST 2019

Sorry, I didn't mean to post my reply to the core list.

----

I do like things to be documented so there's no guesswork with that.
Admittedly some of the standards seem to be more designed for projects
written in C and C++, like identifiers all being in lowercase, whereas
Pascal, or at least Delphi, traditionally had the start of every word
capitalised (e.g. TCriticalSection instead of tcriticalsection).

I do put spaces before and after operators (e.g. "X := 5" instead of
"X:=5") because that is how I started my life as a Turbo Pascal and
Delphi 2.0 programmer, but if the compiler coding standards tell me
otherwise, then I'll do the no-space style.

Personally I would say that the most readable styles should be
championed, but that's just me.

Gareth aka. Kit

On 26/05/2019 20:01, Sven Barth wrote:
> J. Gareth Moreton <gareth at moreton-family.com
> <mailto:gareth at moreton-family.com>> schrieb am So., 26. Mai 2019, 19:14:
>
>     Yeah, coding standards are kind of non-
>     existent for the compiler. Things like
>     spaces before and after operators, how
>     variables are named and indentations etc
>     seem to vary wildly. I don't want to
>     enforce my own standards though without a
>     good debate.
>

> There is a style that quite some code inside the compiler is following
> and which we are trying to make patches from external developers
> adhere to.
>
> Regards,
> Sven

---