[fpc-devel] fpcmake

Kevin Lyda kevin at ie.suberic.net
Wed May 22 21:54:42 CEST 2019

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 8:06 AM Sven Barth via fpc-devel
<fpc-devel at lists.freepascal.org> wrote:
> If you want to use it for yourself you might better want to take a look at fpmake which uses Pascal code.
> fpcmake is only used by the compiler and RTL as well as a skeleton for the fpmake packages nowadays.

Honestly, full programming languages in make-like tools do not fill me
with joy. And I've used ones based on lisp, perl, python, ruby, groovy
and a few others. Some developers get... creative... in such
environments and while I'm a fan of creativity, maybe not in this use
case.

Secondly, this is the documentation I can find on fpcmake:
https://www.freepascal.org/tools/fpcmake.html  It's essentially the
man page, but everything is there. It won't win style awards, but it's
got the info I need.

This is the documentation I can find on fpmake:
http://wiki.freepascal.org/FPMake

That's two nice examples but it is not documentation. So that leaves
me with the source - all 9,506 lines of it (oh yeah, that looks
maintainable): https://github.com/graemeg/freepascal/blob/master/packages/fpmkunit/src/fpmkunit.pp

So, back to my original question, if I make the changes I mentioned to
fpcmake will there be an interest in them upstream?

Kevin