[fpc-devel] Possible idea... "safe" subroutines/methods

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Sun May 5 19:34:11 CEST 2019

I'd say the people have spoken.  No "safe"!  Don't worry, I'm not going
to get angry or anything... I'm appreciating the discussion we're having.

For the volatile intrinsic, was there talk of "volatile" being an
attribute as well? I'm guessing this means declaring something as, for
example "var FTerminated: Boolean volatile;"

My fear with allowing the promotion of global variables to registers is
that it will break old code written when the "volatile" intrinsic didn't
exist.  Then again, it can simply be an option that is only present in
-O4 or if the programmer specifically asks for it (and maybe as an
option in Lazarus' "Project Options" dialog).

Maybe it already works this way, but I would like to see -O4 work under
all general-purpose circumstances where code doesn't use any
implementation-specific practices like trying to access a field by a
hard-coded pointer offset or using an unsafe or questionable typecast
(e.g. typecasting a pointer to a LongInt as a PWord) that would trick
most compiler checks.

If a volatile attribute existed for variables, then the compiler could
throw a warning if you pass it into a routine's var parameter.  If
there's no upper limit on how long -O4 would take to compile, then the
compiler can do things like keep track on what volatile variables a
procedure accesses and be more selective in when such a warning is thrown.

Originally, the "safe" proposal was so I didn't have to flood the code
with manual instances of promoting global variables into local
registers.  To quote my original example -
https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=35479 - I promote the domain's
lower and upper bounds to object fields so one doesn't have to call
"getrange" more than once (it makes a notable saving).  At the same
time, I only write to the fields once the code has finished using them
in expressions (setting "jumptable_no_range").  Then in the actual jump
table creation routine, it reads those fields into local variables so
there's no longer a need to perform constant pointer dereferences.  It's
a subtle speed-up that is largely overshadowed by the removal of
"getrange", but doing this too much risks the code becoming an unwieldly
mess, as well as cases of flawed programmer logic when they copy a
global variable to a local one, but then it's only read once.  I suppose
the answer to that one is to make sure the "volatile"
intrinsic/attribute is well-documented, especially mentioning it if such
optimisations become part of -O4, say.

Gareth aka. Kit