[fpc-devel] Aligned dynamic arrays / Maybe implement in mem-mgr?

Ryan Joseph ryan at thealchemistguild.com
Fri Mar 29 20:28:26 CET 2019

> On Mar 29, 2019, at 1:21 PM, Martin Frb <lazarus at mfriebe.de> wrote:
>
> Question: Should the alignment be "user data" or "type info".
> Does it need to be determined at runtime, and set to different values (for the same type/variable) at runtime?

I’m just doing what Sven said I could do, which is store the info in the dynamic array header and add a “SetLengthAligned” intrinsic. Maybe the new problem changes things though.

As for the memory manager I’m not sure that helps because of how the dynamic arrays are already implemented. It would have to be extended to return an aligned block that had x number of bytes directly before it. No idea if that’s feasible for memory managers.

Regards,
	Ryan Joseph