[fpc-devel] TRegistry and Unicode

Bart bartjunk64 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 10 17:14:45 CET 2019

> No.
>
> Please, a single patch with full solution for unicode & ansistring.

You misundersdtand me here, I think.
The patch I mentioned does not concern the Unicode issue at hand.
The patch file however has a chunk of unaltered code in it, and in
_that_ code there is one Utf8Encode.

If the patch to remove Utf8Encode
(https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=35213) is applied before the
patch in https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=35022 , that latter
one becomes invalid, since it references a code-block that is no
longer there.

If however, OTOH, you do no want to apply the patch from
https://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=35213 because you want an "all
containing" patch for that issue, I am a bit puzzled:
1. The proposed patch resolves a regression. This in itself is IMHO a
reason to apply it as is.
2. Joost applied the patch to remove Utf8Decode.
3. From what I get from this discussion, there still is no communis
opinio on how to implement full unicode support in TRegistry (use
Utf8String or UnicodeString overloads for the TRegistry methods).
4. IMO breaking up this process in steps, will make it easier to see
why a particular line of code was changed. (The "full solution" seems
to be come a rather large and complicated diff.

I have already written tests for this issue.
I am willing to write more.

> It becomes increasingly difficult to estimate the consequences of all this.

For me it becomes increasingly difficult to work on the patches for
the various TRegistry bugs in the bugtracker if none of the patches
there get applied.
This is frustrating since currently there seem to be only 2 persons
who are prepared to write fixes for TRegistry (Serge Anvarov and me).

I get the feeling this subject is just not "sexy" enough.

--
Bart