[fpc-devel] TRegistry and Unicode

Bart bartjunk64 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 16:22:39 CET 2019

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 4:10 PM Michael Van Canneyt
<michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

> So, what do you propose for maximum backwards compatibility ?
>
> By this I mean, for people that basically use plain strings and ASCII, they
> should not get warnings about
> 'conversion from widestring to ansistring' and vice versa.

I see.
If I have in unit registry:

procedure TRegistry.A(S: String);
var
  u: UnicodeString;
begin
   u := S;
   A(u);
end;

procedure TRegistry.A(U: UniCodeString);
begin
end;

and then in my program:

var
  S: String;
  R: TRegistry;
..
  R.A(S);

And given that the procedures A are part of fpc distribution, and the
path to the source is NOT in your search path for the compiler (i.o.w.
just a regular fpc user, not someone who builds fpc) then the end-user
(the programmer) would not see that warning if I'm correct?

When building fpc I get tons of conversion warnings that I don't get
when I simply build my program.

--
Bart