[fpc-devel] TRegistry and Unicode

Marco van de Voort core at pascalprogramming.org
Wed Mar 6 12:59:04 CET 2019

Op 3/6/2019 om 12:48 PM schreef Bart:

> So, where to go now from here?
>
> 1. Leave all method signatures unchanged (use plain string variables)
> and cut out all the Utf8Encode(). Then wait for the time that
> string=unicodestring?
> 2. Cut out Utf8Encode(), overload all methods with ansistring
> parameters to accept either UTF8String or UnicodeString parameters?
> 3. Do nothing at all?

1+2.  Reverse manual enforced encoding, and honour the codepage in the
default string type.

If unicode MUST be supported on windows without lazarus hack, convert
the interface to unicodestring. (or maybe overload, but I would just
convert it all)

There is no utf8string usage currently on Windows, simply because it
will only trigger request for more manual encoding checks somewhere else
because on any mixed encoding operation (including literals?), it still
gets converted to default string as intermediate type.