[fpc-devel] Some new

J. Gareth Moreton gareth at moreton-family.com
Tue Mar 5 09:26:37 CET 2019

 Heh, okay, I stand corrected.  Thanks Michael.  Seems I need to read up
on all the functions in the standard units.  Sorry for wasting everyone's
time.

 I do wonder though if it's worth adding " in " to SysUtils, since it's a
very convenient and intuitive notation... not just for Chars but for all
basic types, actually.

 Gareth aka. Kit

 On Tue 05/03/19 09:05 , "Michael Van Canneyt" michael at freepascal.org sent:

 On Tue, 5 Mar 2019, J. Gareth Moreton wrote:

 > Ah, okay.  In my case, it doesn't work if the set you specify is a
 > constant or variable defined elsewhere.
 >
 > e.g.
 >
 > const Delimiters: array[0..5] of Char = [#9, #10, #12, #13, #26, #32];
 >
 > if C in Delimiters then...
 > If you do that, you get a compiler error about 'in' not being overloaded

 > or some such.

 That's because you're defining an array, not a set.

 To define it as a set do:

 Const
 Delimiters = [#9, #10, #12, #13, #26, #32];

 Your c in delimiters will work because this is a set.

 The FPC source tree is full of such constructs.

 The sysutils unit has CharInSet() BTW, if you want to use an array.

 Michael.