[fpc-devel] Object upgrades

Ryan Joseph genericptr at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 16:25:06 CEST 2019

> On Jun 12, 2019, at 9:39 AM, Ryan Joseph <genericptr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> { resending this, I think it got lost during the server move since I’m not seeing it in the archives }

{ I think the server is back up so I’m resending this for the 3rd time to see if it gets through. }

Another question. I’m not sure it’s possible but I did try to add management operators to objects and found that if a initialize operator was declared in a unit which was precompiled and then inherited from an object in another unit which declared another initialize operators, the initialize operator would be called twice.

The issue is that the operator is compiled into some other code which always gets called when the object is used as a var type. Is there any work around to that? The options I’m aware of are:

1) don’t allow management operators in objects (that would be very unfortunate indeed).
2) don’t allow subclasses to redeclare a management operator (that seems ok since the operator can call a virtual method from the base class).
3) allow overriding of operators. I don’t think that would be make sense or perhaps even possible.

Regards,
	Ryan Joseph